DB Hub Support Forum Forum Index DB Hub Support Forum  
  Linux/Unix hub software for Direct Connect      FAQ      Search      Memberlist      Download      Album      Czat      Statistics  
  · Log in Register · Profile · Log in to check your private messages · Usergroups  

Previous topic «» Next topic
DEB package for dbhub 0.450
ilektrojohn 
#[REG]

Hub address:
neemp.no-ip.info:8000
Posted: 2008-01-28, 11:48   DEB package for dbhub 0.450

I created .deb file for dbhub 0.450 . Its tested on debian stable and testing and ubuntu 7.10.
If there is need i ll create debs for older versions so as to be more compliant with debian policy . The ones excisting as i saw where created with checkinstall so they are a little messy , although fully functional( i don't mean anything againist the guy that created them:)).
I will try and make the debs from here on for all stable versions

DEBS are available at http://neemp.no-ip.org/downloads/dbhub

Comments, suggestions and accusations here or at ilektrojohn@gmail.com

Njoy

Sp0tteh

Posted: 2008-02-02, 08:00   

Thanks for this, it worked well with no errors :D

@Ari 

Hub address:
dcc.irc.su:412
Posted: 2008-02-03, 15:17   

ilektrojohn, look @ http://dbhub.org/credits.html
Credits wrote:
Ari :

* creator of Debian, Red Hat and Slackware binaries for DB Hub 0.428 and newer

I make good .deb packages, tested on my Ubuntu. You don't must create again same packages (: go work with greek translations. My packages always are included with source packages.

http://sourceforge.net/pr...group_id=188621
or
http://ari.tcz.pl/dbhub/

Greetz

ilektrojohn 
#[REG]

Hub address:
Posted: 2008-02-04, 03:24   

Ok, hold your horses, it's not like i killed someone in your family...
ok so
Quote:
Ari :

* creator of Debian, Red Hat and Slackware binaries for DB Hub 0.428 and newer

That means that you have created the debs for 0.428 and newer.It DOESN'T mean that nobody else can create debs.Or at least that's how i get it.
Quote:
I make good .deb packages

You say so, but i think that lintian(you know, lintian, debian policy..google it) has another opinion
Code:

E: dbhub: dir-in-usr-local usr/local/bin/
E: dbhub: file-in-usr-local usr/local/bin/dbhub
W: dbhub: file-in-unusual-dir usr/local/bin/dbhub
E: dbhub: executable-in-usr-share-doc usr/share/doc/dbhub/AUTHORS 0755
E: dbhub: executable-in-usr-share-doc usr/share/doc/dbhub/COPYING 0755
W: dbhub: extra-license-file usr/share/doc/dbhub/COPYING
E: dbhub: executable-in-usr-share-doc usr/share/doc/dbhub/INSTALL 0755
W: dbhub: package-contains-upstream-install-documentation usr/share/doc/dbhub/INSTALL
E: dbhub: executable-in-usr-share-doc usr/share/doc/dbhub/Makefile.am 0755
E: dbhub: executable-in-usr-share-doc usr/share/doc/dbhub/aclocal.m4 0755
E: dbhub: executable-in-usr-share-doc usr/share/doc/dbhub/config.guess 0755
E: dbhub: executable-in-usr-share-doc usr/share/doc/dbhub/config.status 0755
E: dbhub: executable-in-usr-share-doc usr/share/doc/dbhub/config.sub 0755
E: dbhub: executable-in-usr-share-doc usr/share/doc/dbhub/configure 0755
E: dbhub: executable-in-usr-share-doc usr/share/doc/dbhub/configure.ac 0755
E: dbhub: executable-in-usr-share-doc usr/share/doc/dbhub/depcomp 0755
E: dbhub: executable-in-usr-share-doc usr/share/doc/dbhub/doc-pak/AUTHORS 0755
E: dbhub: executable-in-usr-share-doc usr/share/doc/dbhub/doc-pak/COPYING 0755
W: dbhub: extra-license-file usr/share/doc/dbhub/doc-pak/COPYING
E: dbhub: executable-in-usr-share-doc usr/share/doc/dbhub/doc-pak/INSTALL 0755
E: dbhub: executable-in-usr-share-doc usr/share/doc/dbhub/install-sh 0755
E: dbhub: executable-in-usr-share-doc usr/share/doc/dbhub/missing 0755
E: dbhub: executable-in-usr-share-doc usr/share/doc/dbhub/mkinstalldirs 0755
E: dbhub: executable-in-usr-share-doc usr/share/doc/dbhub/src/Makefile.am 0755
E: dbhub: executable-in-usr-share-doc usr/share/doc/dbhub/src/dbhub 0755
W: dbhub: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/share/doc/dbhub/doc-pak/COPYING
W: dbhub: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/share/doc/dbhub/configure.ac
W: dbhub: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/share/doc/dbhub/COPYING
W: dbhub: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/share/doc/dbhub/Makefile.am
W: dbhub: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/share/doc/dbhub/INSTALL
W: dbhub: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/share/doc/dbhub/src/Makefile.am
W: dbhub: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/share/doc/dbhub/doc-pak/INSTALL
W: dbhub: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/share/doc/dbhub/aclocal.m4
W: dbhub: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/share/doc/dbhub/doc-pak/AUTHORS
W: dbhub: executable-not-elf-or-script ./usr/share/doc/dbhub/AUTHORS
E: dbhub: no-copyright-file
W: dbhub: description-synopsis-might-not-be-phrased-properly
W: dbhub: changelog-file-not-compressed ChangeLog
W: dbhub: wrong-name-for-upstream-changelog usr/share/doc/dbhub/ChangeLog
E: dbhub: debian-changelog-file-missing
W: dbhub: maintainer-not-full-name Ari

Quote:
You don't must create again same packages

Wrong again, I created the deb for dbhub-0.450 , which you hadn't by the time i did it.I can't really see your problem. I just decided to create the deb, i told it in the forum, thats it. I didn't ask for my debs to be included in the projects page, i didn't ask for yours to be removed, so whats all this fuss about?

So, finally, stop making a big deal about it. You can go on checkinstalling the source code and creating your debs:) I just produced a deb more compliant to debian policy and i will keep making them whether you like it or not :). I wasn't trying to take your job or whatever. If someone wants to use it, he can, if not well no prob.

***EDIT***
Now that 3-4 hours have passed and i'm not so pissed of by your attitude as i was before: Why can't you consider creating packages in a more accurate way? If you did so, i wouldn't get involved in the first place, and even if you do it now i will stop making them, i ll use yours instead :)
***EDIT***

Cheers:D

@DarKRaveR 
#[KVIP]

Posted: 2008-02-04, 16:25   

How about stopping to fight?

IMHO having more choices is not a bd idea, afterall, leave it to the users to decide, which style package the prefer. And if the packages are more policy-complying, then be it and let the users decide what the want.

As long as both of you supprt your packages and people can contact you regarding the specific package I can't see any reason, why the packages should not be welcome.

Jut my 2 cent.

ilektrojohn 
#[REG]

Hub address:
Posted: 2008-02-04, 18:27   

Couldn'a agree more DarkRaver.. I'm sorry if I overreacted but the attitude got to my nerves.
As I said I ll keep creating the packages, not to take ari's "job" but because I wanna use them myself. I'm just making them available to anyone who might be interested.Nothing more, nothing less.

My 2 cent

(we got 4 now, keep on and we gonna be rich:P)

@Ari 

Hub address:
Posted: 2008-02-04, 22:29   

And my 2 cent... ilektrojohn,
Ari wrote:
You don't must create again same packages (:

When I wrote it I thought You don't must, but not You can't, it's difference! I thought because you don't know about may I created packages .deb. If my .deb don't work plz tell me about it. I test my packages (from checkinstall ;] ) only on my machine (Ubuntu). Nobody contact to me with problems about packages. One person wrote about problem with glibc on Debian, but i haven't got a Debian, so i can't help him...

DarKRaveR wrote:
IMHO having more choices is not a bd idea, afterall, leave it to the users to decide, which style package the prefer. And if the packages are more policy-complying, then be it and let the users decide what the want.

From a long time I think about repository Ubuntu (but I don't know how work in Debian (: ). I tested first time create repository for Ubuntu, but don't work it... :P
I think too, because create several version packages is unprofitable, but repository is comfortable (:
Open Source need cooperation, but don't need a wars and "fights" 8) For sign alliance ilektrojohn, I suggest think and work about/for repository. I wait for your opinion ilektrojohn.

Greetz

@DarKRaveR 
#[KVIP]

Posted: 2008-02-04, 22:58   

I might just add to this:

Snchronizing both your efforts might be the best way, of course. Aside from that, I never really looked deeply into debian or ubuntu (I use both, yet never felt to have a loser look inside the dist.)

Since in example Redhat/Suse both use RPM, it did not necessarily mean (in the past) that one rpm suits both distributions/policies. Maybe those policies vary betwen debian and ubuntu (though they use the same package manager), then of course having two versions of the package might again be a good idea. I know there is LFS, but from what I've seen in the last couple years, that effort never made it into all distros ....

My recommendation: Both relax and sit down, start talking (on dbhelp hub or via PM) and sort things out and if necesary, we can still do dbhub*_debian.deb (or dbhub*_lintian.deb) and a dbhub*_ubuntu.deb and could include both on the project page, right?

And if we wanted uniform things, we would all stick with windows Servers, wouldn't we ??? :-)))) *scnr*

ilektrojohn 
#[REG]

Hub address:
Posted: 2008-02-04, 23:03   

Ok Ari i m sorry, i misinterpreted your intensions and attitude. Tou have to admit though that your english isn't at all helpful when trying to understand what you mean :D Well the thing is, as I wrote before, I don't want to take your "job" or anything and I don't care about my name being on the credits page under :"Created deb package" . I created the deb for me, and seeing that you haven't created one yet for 0.450 i posted it on the forum. That's all.
Quote:
The ones excisting as i saw where created with checkinstall so they are a little messy , although fully functional( i don't mean anything againist the guy that created them:)).

As you can see I never said that your packages doesn't work, i said they are messy. For example , the executable file is in /usr/local/bin and that's not accepted by debian policy (and i think neither ubuntu's if they have one) . /usr/local/bin is for the administrator only, and not any given user. The changelog and copyright files don't have the appropriate format etc etc.
Furthermore because thereis not a dbhub package in official debian repos your package should be named i.e dbhub_0.450-0ubuntu1.deb .Ok i admit that things like that are details to some people but since there is the knowledge and the time, why can't we produce proper packages ? All i did was trying to help.
The thing you say about repositories . It's a good idea to create a unofficial repository for ubuntu and debian and upload the debs there so that users wouldn't have to manually download and install the packages. I'll see to it, and i ll come back so we can discuss creating one.
So , to set things straight and don't have any problems with you, i apologise again for the way i spoke in the last post. No harm done, lets get over it. Sure we can work together and produce some nice stuff for people using dbhub

@DarKRaveR 
#[KVIP]

Posted: 2008-02-04, 23:29   

Sorry, that I have to contradict on one issue (I don't know debians policy as I Said), in general, people tend to say that /usr/bin ist managed by the dist, whereas /usr/local/bin is managed by the sysadmin - thus non oficial packages should use /usr/local/bin etc. - I am sure that dpkg even has a fesature to rewrite the basepath to the taste of the dmin during installation ...
Anyhow, usually suided executeables (or those are ment for maintanance etc.) are rather within sbin instead of bin.

Others might say, that /usr/local should only be used, if I compiled the executeable by hand (for example) and thus the installation is not managed b the distributions package management. Again, I don't know debian or ubuntu philosophy/policy on this, but I am sure, this can be sorted out ;-).

ilektrojohn 
#[REG]

Hub address:
Posted: 2008-02-05, 01:22   

Quote:
/usr/local : Local hierarchy
Purpose

The /usr/local hierarchy is for use by the system administrator when installing software locally. It needs to be safe from being overwritten when the system software is updated. It may be used for programs and data that are shareable amongst a group of hosts, but not found in /usr.

Thats from FHS . You maybe got a point but lintian(debian's program for checking if package is compliant to debian policy) complaints about executables installed in /usr/local/bin

@DarKRaveR 
#[KVIP]

Posted: 2008-02-05, 02:14   

ilektrojohn wrote:
Quote:
/usr/local : Local hierarchy
Purpose

The /usr/local hierarchy is for use by the system administrator when installing software locally. It needs to be safe from being overwritten when the system software is updated. It may be used for programs and data that are shareable amongst a group of hosts, but not found in /usr.

Thats from FHS . You maybe got a point but lintian(debian's program for checking if package is compliant to debian policy) complaints about executables installed in /usr/local/bin

Does Lintian state anything if non official debs are considered local (Well, if they are unofficial, there won't be updates inside the system software anyway)? Imagine some day there are official deb packages ... that'S exactly the reason, why I was asking, because if debian's policy says, any deb (no matter if official) is considered non local, then users/admins KNOW what to expect ....

I will have a look at lintian and see if I can find anything ... but you sem better informed in that area ;-).

Okay, there'S another thing I did not mention nd not consider properly:

Quote:
Since /usr/local can be mounted read-only from a remote server, these directories must be created and removed by the postinst and prerm maintainer scripts and not be included in the .deb archive. These scripts must not fail if either of these operations fail.

I think, we should assume unofficial packages as non-local indeed, for the sake of avoiding problems with distributed installations ...

@Ari 

Hub address:
Posted: 2008-02-05, 14:51   

DarKRaveR wrote:
I think, we should assume unofficial packages as non-local indeed, for the sake of avoiding problems with distributed installations ...

For example, Wine and aMule have got individual, functional dist-repo, so why DB Hub can't have such dist-repo? I think, we need a usual ftp, good creating packages and vuala ;) We must get active conversation and talk about this repo-idea. I invite on support hub or via MSN.

I tested create repo by howto: http://mediakey.dk/~cc/ho...age-repository/ but while that without result :P

ilektrojohn 
#[REG]

Hub address:
Posted: 2008-02-05, 19:05   

DarkRaver is talking about file hierarchy and where the executables should be placed in any system. He is not talking about repositories :)

I'll get in touch with you in the dbhub support hub so we can talk about repositories and packaging

ilektrojohn 
#[REG]

Hub address:
Posted: 2008-02-06, 03:30   

Ok as it seems, creating repositories is a very easy job. I created a debian repository in just 5 mins :D (god i love debian:)) .
you can try it out, add
Code:
deb http://neemp.no-ip.org/debian/ testing main
to your /etc/apt/sources.list , then
Code:
 aptitude update

and then try searching (aptitude search) for dbhub :D

So, if we create the repositories , where would they be hosted? Ari, do you offer your server ?
*@Ari : I'll try and find some time to talk with you tommorow.

Reply to topic